This annual event offers a day of mini lessons with a celebrated artist-teacher. Students will perform for and be coached by the clinician in a recital setting. A high level of preparation is required of those students who are selected to perform. All sessions will be opened to the general public.
October 16 & 17, 2021
Individual remote lessons with clinician, Sean Chen on October 16 and 17. Lessons will be recorded and shared with interested teachers and students. A question-and-answer session will conclude the event on October 17. Participating teachers and students are required to attend the Q&A session.
TBD. The lesson schedule will be set according to Mr. Sean Chen’s preference
ELIGIBILITY FOR ENTRY:
The student must be 13 years old or younger on the date of the event and currently studying with a Forum MTA teacher in good standing.
LEVEL OF REPERTOIRE:
Student’s repertoire must meet the minimum difficulty level of Bastien Piano Literature Volume I or pieces from Anna Magdalena Bach Notebook.
ENTRY ESTIMATE DEADLINE:
August 8, 2021. Please email the student’s name, age, and repertoire.
Complete entry must be received by September 8, 2021. Masterclass participants will be selected through an audition process. The teacher will be notified of acceptance status around September 17.
Forward all necessary forms and information to entrants.
• Set your own deadline (before September 8) for your students.
• Complete and email the attached entry form. DO NOT use the form on the website dashboard.
• Entry form in Excel format should be saved as TEACHER NAME, e.g., ADELE MARCUS
• Be sure to share each student’s Google Drive Folder Link on the entry form.
• Make sure each entry requirement is met.
• Check that all links and files in each entrant’s Google Drive Folder are accessible and complete.
• Entry fee is $15 per entrant. Please send one check per studio, payable to FORUM.
1. Prepare AUDITION RECORDINGS (YouTube links):
• Submit two pieces for the audition in two separate YouTube video links.
• Both pieces must be performed by memory.
• Videos must be shot in landscape format. The performer’s side profile, hands, and upper body must be clearly visible.
• Video must not include student or teacher’s name in any format. Do not speak in the video.
• Video and audio shall not be edited.
• Title YouTube video with COMPOSER_Composition_Movement,
e.g., BEETHOVEN_Sonata in C Major, Op. 2, No. 3_I. Allegro con brio
• Set YouTube video’s Visibility to Unlisted.
• Share the YouTube links on the Student Entry Form.
• Any audition video that does not adhere to the rules will not be accepted.
• Selected students will be asked to perform one of the pieces submitted by memory. 2. MUSIC SCORE (PDF format):
• Scan music scores of your repertoire in PDF format and save as COMPOSER_Composition_Movement
• One file per composition.
• File and its contents must not include student or teacher’s name in any format. 3. VIDEO AUTHORIZATION/SCORE OWNERSHIP VERIFICATION FORM (PDF Format):
• Complete and sign this form.
• Save the file in PDF format as STUDENT NAME, e.g., AMELIA LEE 4. STUDENT ENTRY FORM (DOCX format).
• Complete this form. Be sure to include audition videos’ YouTube links.
• Save the file in DOCX format as STUDENT NAME. 5. Prepare a GOOGLE DRIVE FOLDER. Save the folder as STUDENT NAME. Share Google Drive Folder Link with the teacher. Be sure to set the link to “Anyone with the Link/Editor”. Each Google Drive Folder must include:
• Student Entry Form in DOCX format (which includes the 2 YouTube links).
• Two PDF files of music scores.
• Completed Video Authorization/Score Ownership Verification Form in PDF format. 6. Check with your teacher that your Google Drive Folder Link and its contents are in working order.
SET UP REQUIREMENTS FOR MASTERCLASS LESSON:
Student’s set up must include 1. High-speed Ethernet connection. 2. Good external microphone. 3. Clear webcam. 4. Acoustic piano should be in tune or hybrid piano. (Digital piano and electronic keyboard are not acceptable.) 5. Quiet environment.
External speakers are optional, depending on the student’s computer speaker volume and clarity.
Additional instructions will be sent prior to the masterclass.
All participating teachers are required to work at this event. Teachers who are unable to fulfill their work requirement for any reason must provide advance notice to the chair ahead of the event, and pay one of the following applicable fees:
$150 with at least one week’s notice or $175 with less than one week’s notice, or no notice.
Teachers who are unable to work due to an emergency must notify the chair immediately, the fee may be waived with the approval of the chair and the president.